11 people have not died from drought -DP Ruto

DP Ruto sets the record straight

Deputy President William Ruto speaking in Mombasa

Eleven people have not passed away due to the ongoing drought in the country, according to Deputy President William Ruto.

Speaking on Wednesday in Mombasa during the opening of the inter professional summit, Dr Ruto stated that the information from a former chief that a person had died from starvation was not true.

Dr Ruto stated: "We were told that 11 people had died. That is not true from where I sit, from all the professionals that we have."

The DP revealed that the former chief had been arrested for questioning for peddling lies in connection to the drought.

Measures to curb drought

"In fact, the chief and the other fellow who faked death we have taken them in for questioning because these are people who are taking a very serious matter involving human lives and playing around with it," the DP stated.

He remarked that the Jubilee administration was putting in measures to deal with the drought now and also in the future.

Contrary to what the DP stated, various people who have spoken to the media have claimed that lives have been lost in hunger-related complications.

Counties facing starvation

Baringo and Turkana counties have been on the spot over the ongoing drought as residents in some areas are said to be surviving on wild fruits.

Notably, the government started distributing food in the affected areas with Devolution CS Eugene Wamalwa flagging off 7,000 bags of maize and beans.

In Makueni, thousands of residents are facing starvation following the failure of the short November-December rains, which led to crop failure.

The areas that are badly hit are Kibwezi and Makueni sub-counties as well as the lower regions of Mbooni sub-county, with the National Drought Management Authority (Ndma) estimating that at least 54,000 households are in dire need of food aid.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke