Senior officials in Afya House scam to be exposed after US drastic decision

The official has hinted at exposing more details about the Sh5.3 billion corruption scam that hit the Ministry last year

___6655212___https:______static.pulse.com.gh___webservice___escenic___binary___6655212___2017___5___10___14___MoHh

In the latest twist, nurses have petitioned President Uhuru Kenyatta to streamline the health Ministry.

Kenya National Union of Nurses Secretary General who is also vying for Kakamega County senatorial seat Dr Seth Panyako said there must be radical surgery at the Ministry to ensure the Cabinet secretary and Principal Secretary fully in charge of affairs at Afya house.

On Tuesday, the Donald Trump’s government, through an aid agency USAid cut off Sh2.5 billion support due to corruption and lack of accountability.

The ministry has however assured the republic that the new turn will only affect the administrative functions at the embattled ministry of health, rubbishing any corruption that has rocked the ministry in th recent past.

Earlier, ODM leader and NASA presidential candidate Raila Odinga exposed a mega scam at the ministry involving the disappearance of over KSh5.3 billion; a scam the ministry said was a preempted incomplete audit report.

The scam came shortly before the doctors went on a strike that lasted for over three months. Durong the strike, the ministry engaged in battles with doctors, at some point jailing top doctors’ union officials.

Dr Panyako has called on the president to disband a top management at the Ministry of Health, shortly after the president made radical changes at the ministry. The president moved former PS Nicholas Muraguri over subordination claims against his senior CS Cleopa Mailu.

"Besides, we would like the head of state to fully devolve health function and call upon the US and other development partners to be channeling funds directly to beneficiaries or through county government to enhance accountability and transparency," he said while addressing journalists in Kakamega County.

Mr Panyako has threatened to name and shame individuals he claimed have been siphoning funds at the Ministry at the expense of many poor Kenyans.

According to Panyako, over Sh5.3 billion was lost in health scandal that compelled US to suspend its support.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke