The Director of Public Prosecution, DPP Noordin Haji has exposed a sinister motive by a number of members of Parliament who are helping out key NYS suspects secure Sh8 million that the Court on Tuesday slapped on them.

Mr Haji, revealed on Thursday that a letter from the Assets Recovery Agency (ARA) details how Sh100 million was transferred to an account belonging to a legislator, but failed to name the particular MP adding that investigations were underway.

The letter which the DPP said his office has received, Sh3 million was said to have been withdrawn, before bail was sought for suspects in the alleged theft of  Sh9 billion from the NYS. The DPP added that the money may have been used to secure the release of some of the suspects.

ALSO READ: Ngirita’s unexpected confession after Court ordered her release

Proceeds of Crime

On Wednesday, Haji directed the DCI to ensure that securities and funds presented by freed NYS suspects are not proceeds of crime.

The 48 suspects in the Sh9 billion National Youth Service scandal were reprieved on Tuesday by the High Court's decision to grant them release pending their trial. But so far none has left the Milimani Law Courts cells.

Earlier, High Court Judge Hedwig Ong'udi freed the 43 suspects on Sh5 million bond with sureties of Sh2 million each, with concurrent cash bails of Sh1 million each.

Mr Haji noted that the Assets Recovery Agency had raised concerns that "some of the funds intended to be use are not only suspect bus also the subject of current cases."

Already 113 bank accounts held in 13 banks were frozen as detectives zeroed in on the multi-billion-shilling scandal.