Government now removes controversial clause reducing age of sexual consent following public outcry
If the proposal would have been passed, the amendments would have lowered the age at which a young person can legally consent to sexual activity.
Following a huge public outcry from lobby groups, religious leaders and some members of parliament, Leader of Majority in Parliament Aden Duale asked the House to make proposals to “cure it”.
“The impression created by the bill is not right and I will therefore write to the Speaker to ensure that the section is withdrawn," Duale said during debate on the Bill.
Duale later wrote to the House Speaker to ensure the controversial section is withdrawn.
It had earlier emerged that the offensive clause in the Statute Law (Miscellaneous Amendment) Bill 2016 was still intact after both the public and MPs had expressed their disapproval arguing that the proposals protected the rights of sexual offenders at the expense of their victims.
National Assembly Speaker Justin Muturi on Thursday said further debate on the Statute Law (Miscellaneous Amendments) Bill “will proceed as though the withdrawn sections were not part of the Bill.”
“I wish to inform the House that I have received a letter from the leader of the majority party requesting to withdraw the proposed amendments,” said Mr Muturi.
Politicians who voiced their strong disapproval included MPs James Nyikal (Seme), Wanjiku Muhia (Nyandarua County) Florence Kajuju (Meru County), Tom Kajwang (Ruaraka) Joseph M'eruaki (Igembe North) and Ken Okoth (Kibra) who all termed termed the proposed amendments as backward.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: