Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) Chairperson Wafula Chebukati has confirmed the resumption of vote counting at the Mang'u Tallying Centre.
Tallying of Juja constituency by-election votes resumes
IEBC chairperson confirms new development
The announcement came on Wednesday morning, hours after he suspended the activity due to a raid by Kiambu Governor James Nyoro.
Mr Chebukati added that the Commission would be pursuing action against those who disrupted the tallying process on Tuesday night.
Candidates in Juja by-election
Jubilee party's candidate Susan Waititu stormed out of the tallying hall as soon as the vote counting resumed.
She and her supporters claimed rigging stating that they were ready to reject the results announced form the process.
She along with People’s Empowerment Party (PEP) candidate George Koimburi were seen as the main contenders for the MP seat.
Others who contested are:-
- Eunice Wanjiru (The New Democrats)
- John Njoroge (People’s Party of Kenya)
- Antony Kirori (Maendeleo Chap Chap)
- Kennedy Gachuma (National Liberal Party)
- Zulu Thiong’o (Independent)
- James Kariuki (Independent)
- Rashid Iregi (Independent)
- Kariuki Chege (Independent)
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: