UN chief condemns terrorist attack in Egypt

Guterres wished a quick recovery to those injured and hopes that the perpetrators of this despicable act will be swiftly identified and brought to justice.

A general view shows people gathering outside the Mar Girgis Coptic Church in the Nile Delta City of Tanta, 120 kilometres (75 miles) north of Cairo, after a bomb blast struck worshippers gathering to celebrate Palm Sunday on April 9, 2017

Guterres, in a statement issued by Stéphane Dujarric, Spokesman for the Secretary-General, said the attack was unjustified.

The terrorists attacked a bus in Egypt, in which at least 28 people were killed and dozens, including children, were injured.

The bus was conveying members of the Egypt’s Coptic Christians when gunmen opened fire on them killing 28 people and injuring dozens others.

“There can be no justification for such horrific violence,” Guterres said.

The Secretary-General expressed his deepest sympathies to the families of the victims and to the Government and people of Egypt.

The UN Security Council had earlier condemned the attack, demanding that perpetrators, organizers, financiers and sponsors of the “reprehensible acts of terrorism” be brought to justice.

“The members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest terms the heinous and cowardly terrorist attack that took place on a bus travelling to a monastery in Minya, Egypt.”

The 15-member Council, whose rotating membership currently includes Egypt, began a regularly scheduled meeting on Friday with a moment of silence in honour of the victims.

The statement, issued by the Council President for May 2017, Elbio Rosselli (Uruguay), called on Governments to cooperate actively with the Egyptian Government and all relevant authorities.

The members of the Security Council reaffirmed that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security.

They expressed their deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the victims and to the Government of Egypt, and wished a speedy and full recovery to those who were injured.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke

Recommended articles

Two doctors surrender land they bought in 2017 to government

Two doctors surrender land they bought in 2017 to government

Ruto lands in Homa Bay for first visit of Nyanza region as President

Ruto lands in Homa Bay for first visit of Nyanza region as President

Hellen Wendy's parents speak on challenges of bringing her body home

Hellen Wendy's parents speak on challenges of bringing her body home

Inside Standard Group's mass firing

Inside Standard Group's mass firing

Details of Uhuru's whereabouts after handing over power

Details of Uhuru's whereabouts after handing over power

Azimio to block the appointment of these cabinet nominees

Azimio to block the appointment of these cabinet nominees

Ruto appoints 49-member team to review CBC

Ruto appoints 49-member team to review CBC

Kakamega health officials probe suspected Ebola case

Kakamega health officials probe suspected Ebola case

Sakaja's plan to retain military after NMS hands back transferred functions

Sakaja's plan to retain military after NMS hands back transferred functions