Organisation calls for probe into attack on refugee boat off Yemen waters

The boat was struck off Yemen’s western Hodeidah province last week while allegedly heading to Sudan with more than 140 migrants on board from Yemen and Somalia.

The United Nations logo is displayed on a door at U.N. headquarters in New York February 26, 2011. REUTERS/ Joshua Lott

“Over 40 lives have been lost in this unwarranted attack on helpless civilians fleeing violence and conflict,” UN High Commissioner for Refugees Filippo Grandi said.

The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) condemned the attack and urged warring parties in the region to do everything possible to protect civilians.

“Many questions remain unanswered on the circumstances of this horrific event.

“We call on all parties to the conflict to make proper inquiries to ensure accountability and to prevent this from happening again,” Grandi said.

The conflict in Yemen has escalated since March 2015.

This was when Saudi Arabia began an air campaign against the mostly Shiite rebels, as Saudis fear that rebels will give their regional rival, Iran, a foothold on the Arabian Peninsula.

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) denied targeting the boat and welcomed an independent international investigation into the incident.

The Gulf country is a member of the Saudi-led coalition fighting the Houthi rebels, who seized control of the capital Sana’a and other parts of Yemen in 2014.

“The UAE Armed Forces did not target the Somali refugee boat which was travelling from the coast of Yemen to Sudan,” the report said.

Citing preliminary investigations into the incident, the report said the armed forces “clearly recognised the non-military nature of the boat which was carrying a large number of civilians.”

However, the Houthi rebel forces that controlled most of Hodeidah province was blamed.

As the situation in Yemen worsens because of the war, Yemenis and foreigners are increasingly fleeing the country.

Yemen hosts more than 255,000 Somali refugees, according to the UN.

In 2016, more than 117,000 refugees and migrants arrived in Yemen.

Yemen is immersed in a humanitarian crisis and is at risk of famine, according to the UNHCR.

Out of the 3 million Yemenis displaced by the conflict, 1 million have returned to their homes under precarious conditions and 2 million remain displaced.

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Unblock notifications in browser settings.

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke

Recommended articles

Sifuna declares admiration for his celeb crush & gets unexpected response [Video]

Sifuna declares admiration for his celeb crush & gets unexpected response [Video]

Security breach forces Police IG to miss Ruto event

Security breach forces Police IG to miss Ruto event

Unicaf & the University of Suffolk announce 3 new British Bachelor’s Degree programmes

Unicaf & the University of Suffolk announce 3 new British Bachelor’s Degree programmes

Luo Council of Elders chair appeals to Raila over planned protests

Luo Council of Elders chair appeals to Raila over planned protests

IEBC vice chair Juliana Cherera resigns

IEBC vice chair Juliana Cherera resigns

Police probe murder of Recce Squad officer in Nakuru

Police probe murder of Recce Squad officer in Nakuru

Ruto's instructions to Interior CS Kithure Kindiki ahead of Raila’s protests

Ruto's instructions to Interior CS Kithure Kindiki ahead of Raila’s protests

Youthful MP speaks on nearly losing life during foreign trip this week

Youthful MP speaks on nearly losing life during foreign trip this week

Ruto’s online exchange with Raila at night leaves Kenyans divided

Ruto’s online exchange with Raila at night leaves Kenyans divided