On Thursday, 88 out of 122 Nairobi Members of County Assembly voted to impeach Governor Mike Sonko, over what they termed as abuse of office, gross misconduct and lack of capability to run county affairs, accusations that he has repeatedly denied.
5 Key issues that led to the impeachment of Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko
Returning Dignity to the office of the Governor
This was the second attempt at impeaching the Nairobi Governor and it was successful, after the court came to his rescue in February, when it stopped an impeachment motion moved by Deputy Minority leader Peter Imwatok.
Sonko’s efforts to cripple the impeachment on Thursday did not bear much fruit after 88 MCAs voted for his removal from office, more than the required threshold of 82.
It is suspected that some of the MCAs the governor had flown to the Coast to avert the needed numbers might have voted virtually and in favour of his ouster.
In the impeachment motion tabled by Minority Leader Michael Ogada and seconded by Majority Leader Abdi Guyo, the Nairobi Governor is accused of gross violation of the Constitution and other laws, abuse of office, commission of crimes under the national laws and lack of the mental capability to run the county government of Nairobi.
- The MCAs accused Governor Mike Sonko crippling operations of the Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS) and the Executive by failing to assent to the Sh37 billion budget.
- They accused the Governor also accused of violation of protocols in the procurement of goods and services, citing irregular procurement in projects including the Dandora Stadium.
- They accused the Governor of inability to constitute a working Cabinet with almost all his ministers working in acting capacity.
- Nairobi MCAs pointed out an illegal diversion of conditional grants to pay garbage collection contactors and lawyers.
- Mike Sonko was also accused of using County funds to pay for foreign travels and accommodation for his wife Primrose and daughter Saumu Mbuvi.
The Nairobi MCAs claim that impeaching Mike Sonko was their last resort in returning dignity to the office of the Governor and the County Assembly.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: