7 Conditions Raila’s Party set for Uhuru Today
Here are our conditions, Uhuru
Speaking during a press conference, the legislators said that their support for the VAT proposal was conditional and would only be tested for a period of one year.
"Our support is however conditional. We offer support for the VAT for a period of one year," Suna East MP Junet Mohammed said.
Mr Mohammed added that the one year period could be extended if the need arises.
"If the government makes a genuine effort to implement those proposals, we will agree to sit down and negotiate the extension of VAT for another year if that will still be necessary," the Minority Chief Whip said.
The Opposition leaders went ahead to issue seven more conditions to President Kenyatta-led Government which revolve around better management of finances.
1. Austerity measures implemented across the board. The legislators demanded the Government to cut on cost through elimination of extravagance, elimination of waste and completion of parastatal reforms. The Opposition further urged the Government to live within its means.
2. To tame its appetite for big borrowing.
3. To tame its ambition of infrastructural projects.
4. To unveil a clear plan that will lead to new jobs for the unemployed and cut taxes for small businesses
5. To present to the country a clear plant to review and reform of our banking sector to ensure it is in line with the war on corruption and money laundering.
6. The state to put more effort in the anti-corruption drive with a clear program for ridding the country of this menace and a clear end game
7. The government to initiate major tax reforms, which must include overhauling the management of KRA and the Kenya Bureau of Standards.
"If nothing is done on these proposals, NASA will move a motion in the next budget to scrap VAT on fuel entirely like it did this time," NASA said.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: