Edgar Obare responds to Ebru TV presenter after comment on his near-death experience at city restaurant

It's your responsibility not to die at someone's restaurant-Obare

Edgar Obare and Ebru TV presenter Yummy Mummy

Vlogger Edgar Obare has responded to YouTuber and Ebru TV presenter Yummy Mummy after her comment on his near-death ordeal at a city restaurant a few days ago, where he suffered an allergic reaction to sea food.

In her commentary over the same on Ebru TV, Yummy Mummy stated that Obare’s reaction and move to post the entire thing on social media attacking the restaurant was uncalled for, because as an adult, he should have known what he is allergic to.

The presenter insinuated that the whole thing could have been stage managed and should not be the responsibility of the company, in any way.

Even them offering to pay for his bill is charity because as an adult and no hate to Edgar, I feel like as a functioning adult, you need to know what you are allergic to. I’m sorry you can’t have lived 30 years and not know what you are allergic to; if its peanuts, if its fish, eggs whatever, it’s your responsibility to know whatever you are taking. I mean even me if I wanted to sue a company and I know that I’m allergic to eggs si I just go there and order eggs, that doesn’t put the responsibility on them, their food is their food but you should know what you are allergic to so that it’s not their fault,” said Yummy Mummy during her Let’s Talk show.

Edgar responds

Edgar Obare then responded to her remarks saying that the issue is not about knowing what you are allergic to or not, but about not letting yourself die at someone’s restaurant.

I have spent most of this week seeing people arguing and telling me how I should have felt and handled this whole thing. What yummy mummy said summarized it very well, ati “Edgar is an adult you need to know what you are allergic to. Can’t have lived 30 years and not know. It’s your responsibility not to die at someone’s restaurant,” read his response.

Over the weekend, Edgar in a long post on Instagram revealed that he had gone for lunch at one of the Artcaffe restaurants, before he started experiencing difficulty breathing and a scratchy throat, and his face swelling after having his meal.

He then accused the restaurant of doing nothing to help him, despite seeing that he was in pain. After his announcement, Artcaffe Kenya management reached out, and settled his medical bill.

Here’s his post

So yesterday on my day off I was catching up and having lunch with an old friend at @artcaffekenya Capital Centre, service was very slow there was like only one waiter servicing the upstairs tables. I ordered the prawns tagliatelle. The food came and first bite it was quite delicious, so we are laughing and exchanging stories over the next hour. I finish my meal and suddenly I feel like I have a scratchy throat, then I am tearing up. Now I am struggling to breathe as my nose is blocked and throat is closing up, I have hives all over my neck and it’s itchy. I stand up to go downstairs to the counter to get some water, like I said service was horrible, no waiters in sight. The bar guy asked if I am okay, I said NO and I asked for a bottle of water then went outside on the balcony for some fresh air for like 2 min. It didn’t help, I go to the bathroom and see my face in the mirror is all swollen and my eyes are bloodshot red. I immediately knew I need a hospital, I call my friend we go to the counter and I ask for my bill and pay. All this time the staff is just staring at me, we rush out the door trying to figure out the nearest hospital, we went to Aga khan at Capital Centre and found it was already closed at 4pm, why do hospitals honestly close. It was 4.30pm so we rushed into Naivas to a chemist. From our googling it seems I was having an extreme allergy reaction, they gave me two antihistamine tablets I put under my tongue and advised I should go to a hospital immediately. They googled for us and found Nairobi hospital was close by in the same mall actually and still open. I got injections of chlorpheniramine, hydrocortisone and cotipred and spent the next two hours in a hospital bed. Doctor said I was having an anaphylactic shock and I came very close. Thank you to that Naivas chemist and Nairobi Hospital for saving me. Contd in comments....

JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!

Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or:

Email: news@pulselive.co.ke