City Hall demolitions left tenants in Pangani Estate, Nairobi, out in the July cold on Monday night.
Sonko's gov't unleashes bulldozer on Pangani residents in midnight demolitions
Sanny strikes again after Sonko's gov't instructions
Residents said that bulldozers forcibly kicked them out of their houses in an escalating dispute with Nairobi county.
The tenants have been fighting with the Nairobi County government which plans to upgrade six city estates, starting with Pangani Estate under the affordable housing plan.
Residents left their houses and seek safety after City Hall bulldozers descended on their houses at 11:30 pm on Monday night.
With temperatures running as low as 14 Celcius degrees on Tuesday morning, the residents endured a chilly night some complaining they had children sleeping outside.
Pangani Estate is among seven Nairobi estates that are earmarked for redevelopment.
The others are Ngong Road phases I and II, Uhuru Estate, New Ngara, Old Ngara, Suna Road, and Jeevanjee.
The Nairobi county government has been embroiled in a tussle with the Pangani residents since last year over the evictions.
Nairobi County paid out Ksh28.8 million to 48 house owners at the estate paving the way for construction of 1,500 affordable housing units in the next two years.
Governor Mike Sonko, who handed out the cheques to the beneficiaries, most of whom have lived there since establishment in the late 1960s, said each tenant would receive Ksh600,000 to facilitate relocation.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: