Yep, you read that right…women are rinsing their faces with rice water because of the benefits it has. This routine has been performed by Asian women for generations apparently, that's why Asian women always look youthful.
It’s good to keep your ears and eyes opened. I had never heard of this practice till my colleague told me about it and even bragged about the impressive results of using rice water. It’s actually been referred to as Asia’s best kept secret.
Erm, you must be wondering, “Why rice water?”
So apparently, rice water contains minerals that help tighten your skin, and open up your skin pores. It also contains vitamins which help reduce dark skin pigmentation. It’s been known to heal pimples and reduce acne, leaving the skin soft and smooth. Also, the rice water can be used on all skin types and it can also be used on hair to make it longer and shiny…That’s a lot huh?
For the DIY though, there are many ways to prepare the rice rinse water. Honestly, at this point, I’m just gonna tell you that there are many ways to kill a rat. Hehe since there are so many DIYs out there, I suggest you try out different ones and see what works best for you. You could either use boiled rice, fermented rice or uncooked rice.
Before writing this article, I watched several Asian beauty blogger tutorials on the rice face rinse and nearly all of them had one method. Still, try the other method suggested and see what works best for your face.
What you will need:
1. Rinse the rice once to remove any dirt or impurities.
2. Now add a cup of water, swirl, and mix with a spoon or clean hands and let it sit for an hour.
3. Sieve out the creamy white rice water into a bowl then empty it into a tight lead container.
4. Keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days cause after that it will not be as strong.
ALSO READ: 6 ways to prevent acne breakouts
How to use it:
1. Wash your face with a cleanser and make sure that your face is clean.
2. You can use a cotton wool to apply the rice water, concentrating on the parts with acne, dark spots or blemishes.
3. Once you apply on your face, let the water dry out.
4. At this point, you could rinse your face with clean water and pat it dry, or you could just apply moisturizer after the rice water has dried up and go on about your normal makeup routine.
5. You can choose to do it daily, day and night or every once in a week or such. My advise would be to try for a week or so and see if it works for you.
Try it and give us your thoughts.