Another student dies after drinking ethanol to get high

A sombre mood engulfed residents of Suna East of Migori County after a student from the area died after drinking raw ethanol in order to get high instead of alcohol.

A laboratory with chemicals. A student from Migori County died after drinking raw ethanol in order to get high instead of alcohol.

The candidate from Nyango Mixed Secondary School and three others are said to have drunk the chemical after sneaking it out of the examination room after writing their Chemistry practical paper.

The just concluded KCSE examinations witnessed numerous such cases of misfortunes that have led to several students fail to make it to finish their last paper.

Blindness cases

Earlier this week, a student from Narok lost his sight after drinking a lethal chemical meant for a Chemistry practical at the school.

The student was supposed to sit for Biology paper on Monday but was unable since apart from blindness, he could also neither eat nor speak.

The health officials however said the student was responding well to treatment and was given beer as an antidote to neutralise the ethanol he had taken.

They said the student was in stable condition and there was a high chance of him regaining his sight since he was already attended to by an eye specialist.

In October, a 17-year-old student from Nyeri who had lost his sight after consuming ethanol from his school’s laboratory regained his sight after being treated at an Othaya hospital.

The student from Kenyatta Mahiga High School is said to have taken the chemical after a chemistry session.

While in September, a Form Four student at Longewean Secondary School died on while another was left fighting for her life at Samburu


Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: