With reforms in Ministry of Education underway, University of Nairobi is set to take drastic actions against a number of courses offered at the institution.
Quoting a confidential document tabled before the university’s senate, The Standard reports that the premier academic institution will scrap off its PHD course in Plant Ecology.
In December last year, Deputy President William Ruto was among the graduands at the the institution and earned a doctorate degree Plant Ecology.
The reforms will see more that 40 courses cutting across certificates, diploma, bachelors, masters and PhD scrapped off.
The document titled "rationalisation of academic programmes" reveals that among the courses to be dropped are those that have failed to attract students for the last five years and those that were either duplicated or have since been replaced.
Various faculties will now have to defend why any of the courses on the list of those to be scrapped off should be retained.
Below is the list of some of the courses
1. Postgraduate Diploma in Cultural Studies
2. Postgraduate Diploma in Heritage Management
3. Postgraduate Diploma in Gender and Development Studies
4. Diploma in Water Resources Management
5. Diploma in Strategic and Security Studies
6. Post graduate Diploma in Labour Relations
7. Postgraduate Diploma in Armed Conflicts
8. Postgraduate Diploma in Advance Disaster
9. Postgraduate Diploma in Security Studies
10. BSc in Microprocessor Technology and Instrumentation
11. BSc in Astronomy and Astrophysics
12. Bachelor of Science (atmospheric science)
13. PhD in Environmental Chemistry
14. Master of Science in Environmental and Analytical Chemistry
15. Master of Science in Pure Chemistry
16. Master of Science in Inorganic Chemistry
17. Master of Science in Organic Chemistry
18. BSc in Environmental Chemistry (code 143 and code 143m3)
19. MSc in Agriculture Entomology
20. MSc in Medical and Veterinary Entomology
21. PhD in Applied Microbiology
22. PhD in Plant Ecology
23. PhD in Terrestrial Plant Ecology
24. PhD in Aquatic Plant Ecology
25. Certificate in Chemistry.
26. BSc in Chemistry
27. Bachelor of Science
28. BSc in Environmental Geoscience (code 117 and 127)
29. Postgraduate Diploma in Environment and Natural Disaster Management
30. PhD in Agriculture
31. BSc in Industrial Mathematics
32. PhD in Applied Statistics and PhD in Mathematics.
33. BSc in Microbiology and Biotechnology
34. BSc in Biology
35. BSc in Environmental Conservation and Natural Resources Management