- Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have combined to win 11 of the last 12 awards and have finished first or second 22 times in the last 13 years.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Lionel Messi was once again named the top footballer in the world when he won the 2019 Ballon d'Or.
It was the sixth time in Messi's career that he has won the award, moving one ahead of his chief rival, Cristiano Ronaldo. Ronaldo finished third in the voting, having already won the award five times in his career.
Ronaldo and Messi have been so dominant in the world of football that they have combined to win 11 the last 12 Ballon d'Or awards and have finished second another 11 times in the last 13 years. Over the last 13 years, they have combined to finish first or second in the voting a whopping 22 times. Everybody else has done it four times, combined.
- Cristiano Ronaldo's agent said the Juventus star is 'the best in history, and you know it' after he placed 3rd in the Ballon d'Or
- Nike made one-of-a-kind cleats for Megan Rapinoe inspired by her hair and trophies to honor her Ballon d'Or win
- Lionel Messi scored the most Lionel Messi goal of all time to earn FC Barcelona a dramatic late win over its rival Atletico Madrid