Kakamega man dies after drinking too much alcohol in competition
He gulped down two 'mzingas' before he started complaining
The winner of the competition was to be awarded with more alcohol.
Nyongesa is said to have gulped down two bottles of concentrated spirit donated by other revelers before he started experiencing stomach problems.
Anne Naliaka, his wife said he had left home to check on his motorcycle at a repair shop but did not return as he had promised according to the Standard.
“He had asked me to cook ugali for supper but he didn’t show up. I felt bad, thinking he had decided to eat in a hotel. But later I received a phone call from someone saying he was vomiting and needed urgent medical attention,” Ms Naliaka said.
She asked his friends to take him to hospital but he died on the way.
“His friends told me he drank two bottles of spirit that was not mixed with water or soda yet he had not eaten," she said.
Nyongesa's friends said he may have died from drinking highly concentrated alcohol on an empty stomach and within a short time.
Malava Divisional Criminal Investigation Officer Yusuf Nzioka said the victim was involved in a bet at a local bar.
“People must stop drinking, but if they must drink, let them do it responsibly. We have lost a man because he decided to play with alcohol. Eat well before drinking alcohol and also drink a reasonable amount,” he cautioned.
He also asked liquor traders to open their premises at the required time and warned residents against engaging in such dangerous competitions.
JOIN OUR PULSE COMMUNITY!
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: